University of Northern Iowa
Iowa Regents Institutions Disability Summit: Self, Expressions of Individuality, and the Groups to which People Belong
Save the Date: October 31, 2018
October is Disability Employment Awareness Month, and the University of Northern Iowa (UNI) Division of Student Affairs, Student Accessibility Services, and Leave and Disability Coordinator are celebrating in a big way! UNI will be hosting the "Iowa Regents Institutions Disability Summit: Self, Expressions of Individuality, and the Groups to which People Belong" on Wednesday, October 31, 2018, from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. in the UNI Maucker Union Ballrooms A, B, & C. Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. with a light breakfast. A sack lunch and snacks during the day will be provided.
- 2013 Miss Iowa Nicole Kelly
- Joe Bommersbach “Blind Joe” from Season 9 of NBC’s The Voice
- Sam Hanson: YouTube activist and A&E star of Raising Tourette’s
- Scott Schwartz: UNI Master of Social Work graduate student and disability advocate
- Nathan Selove: Playwright, director, and YouTube activist
To learn more about the presenters, please visit https://sas.uni.edu/summit-presenter-information.
Who should attend the Summit:
- Disability Community Members and Advocates
- K-12 and Postsecondary Educators, Administrators, and School Counselors
- Mental Health Counselors and Advocates
- Public Community Members interested in learning more about the Disability Community
- Social Workers and/or Individuals Working in Social Services
- UNI Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Lifelong Learners
This event is free with a festive twist! As you know, October 31 is Halloween. As a festive way to get into the Halloween spirit while also helping someone in need, we ask that you consider bringing an item for the upcoming on-campus food and essentials pantry. Items needed include: foods (cereal, canned fruit or vegetables, pasta, peanut butter, rice, beans, canned meat), cooking essentials (can openers, pots, pans, strainers, cooking utensils), and essentials (shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent, paper towels, toilet paper, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap). These items will be used to support students who experience food insecurity here at UNI.
Advanced registration is required. Registration is limited, and priority will be given on a first come, first served basis. Each individual attending the Summit will need to complete the registration form, including any guests or accompanying attendants. To register and learn more about this event, please visit sas.uni.edu/summit.
For more information, please contact Kelly Fiddelke at 319-273-2677 Relay 711 or email@example.com.