Student Accessibility Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Student Accessibility  Services provide tutoring services?

No. Students registered with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) are referred for tutoring services through The Learning Center. Additionally, there are other tutoring programs, labs for math and writing, and campus resources which can be found through Tutoring Services.

I think I might have a disability. Where can I go to receive support?

If you believe you might have a disability and are not sure where to start, a good first step is to talk with SAS. Although SAS does not provide testing for medical diagnoses, we can discuss the barriers you are experiencing and the options for support the University and/or greater community may be able to provide. As a UNI student, you have access to the on campus UNI Student Health Clinic (SHC). SHC functions as a general medical clinic and provides evaluation and treatment for a wide variety of health concerns. Routine health exams, illness or injury evaluations, mental health services, and coordination of care for chronic medical issues are some of the services offered. There may be an opportunity to schedule a same day appointment for medical care with SHC if physicians are not already booked. 

On the upper floor of the UNI Student Health Clinic is the UNI Counseling Center. Counseling is free for UNI students who are enrolled and have paid the Mandatory Health Fee. 

In case of immediate danger, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room. For urgent situations outside of the Center office hours, call the Counseling Center at 273-2676 and press 2 to speak to a crisis counselor. Additional resources include: 

  • Statewide Crisis Line 1-800-332-4224
    *The Foundation 2 Crisis Line is Certified by the American Association of Suicidology.
  • National Suicide Hotline 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
  • ULifeline offers students an online mental health screening tool, information about mental health and other issues geared towards you, and resources for learning more and getting help. 

Individuals can access more information on campus and community mental health services and get connected with local disability information and services

I am interested in using the university disabled parking facilities. What is the process?

Students who are able to drive but require the ability to park closer to campus can contact Public Safety to obtain a temporary disability permit. Public Safety is located at 30 Gilchrist Hall. The location of accessible parking on campus can be found on the campus map through Public Safety. For more information please refer to the UNI Parking Manual or contact the Department of Public Safety directly. 

Please note that SAS does not provide building-to-building transportation. Students are encouraged to use Panther Shuttle and the MET Transit System for transportation around the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area. Additional information on the Panther Shuttle can be found through the Department of Public Safety. Wheelchairs, crutches, or other personal medical devices are the responsibility of the student to obtain. SAS does not provide these services but can refer students to area agencies that may be able to provide such equipment.