Student Accessibility Services

Dining and Residence Hall Accommodations

Request Procedure for Housing Accommodations

A residence hall is more than just a place to sleep and study. It is a place to relax, socialize, and partake in educational and recreational activities. 

Students wishing to request an accommodation in the residence halls should follow these steps:

1. Submit an Accessibility Accommodation Request through Student Accessibility Services. Have your medical provider fill out an Evaluator Form, and attach it to your request. 

Please note, because this is a shared facility by hundreds of students participating in various residence hall activities throughout the day, living in a single room does not necessarily provide a student with a quiet, distraction-free environment.

Students wishing to request to have an emotional support animal live with them in the residence halls should complete their Accessibility Accommodation Request as fully as possible.

Students will also need to provide SAS with recent documentation from a physician or licensed mental health provider which:

Updated medical and vaccination records will be requested at the time a student is approved for an emotional support animal and will need to be submitted to SAS prior to bringing the animal to campus.

For further information please visit the University's policy on Animals on University Owned or Controlled Property

Request Procedure for Dining Accommodations

There are alternative dietary options located in dining facilities throughout campus. UNI Dining Services is happy to assist you in avoiding certain allergens or with other special dietary assistance. Registering with Student Accessibility Services will be required to do so. Be aware that nutrient analysis, ingredient, and allergen information will be on their online menus. Once you choose a venue, click on the big red apple for a food made available during that meal. To view nutrient analysis and ingredients, click on your food of choice. There is a possibility that formulations may change from manufacturers, so do not hesitate to ask questions while in the dining facility.

 UNI does accommodate a wide range of dietary accommodations within our all you care to eat facilities. We do ask students that request dietary accommodations to follow these steps:

1. Request Accommodations through Student Accessibility Services. Have your medical provider fill out an Evaluator Form and attach it to your request. 

2. Set up an appointment with Lisa Smith, registered dietitian, to discuss your specific needs and options that are available for you. Both Rialto and Piazza have designated areas within their facilities where they serve gluten free meals, meals that do not contain the top eight allergens, and vegan items. Additional items can be prepared to help meet students individual needs.

 If you would like to set up an appointment with the Dining Services Dietitian at UNI Dining Services, please call (319) 273-6937 or email