Student Accessibility Services


For Students

Students in need of interpreting should register with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) to initiate classroom accommodations and discuss how to request accommodations at events and programs on campus.

For Faculty/Staff

SAS will coordinate interpreting and/or transcribing services for students who are D/deaf or hard-of-hearing and registered for those academic accommodations. The accommodations would be outlined on a student's Course Accessibility Letter in Accommodate.

All interpreters hired by SAS are RID-NAD certified. All CART providers are NCRA certified. Transcribers are trained to use Typewell, C-Print, and/or CART systems. A transcriber provides real-time transcription in the classroom or at events for the student who is D/deaf or hard-of-hearing. The student can view the real-time transcription via a mobile device or laptop from anywhere within the classroom.

Campus Programs & Events

Steps for Arranging Interpreting

Students, faculty, and staff organizing an event on campus are encouraged to take the following steps regarding hiring an interpreter to meet an accommodation:

  • The student in need of an interpreter as an accommodation should contact the sponsoring department/individual with their request for an interpreter.
  • If the sponsoring department has questions regarding hiring an interpreter, they should contact SAS at or 319-273-2677 (for D/deaf or hard-of-hearing, use Relay 711).
  • The sponsoring department should make arrangements with an interpreter and keep in mind the following: parking, timing, length of the event, if more than one interpreter may be needed, etc.
  • The sponsoring department/student organization is responsible for paying the costs of interpreting.

The cost of interpreting is not an appropriate reason to deny an individual access to an event/program. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), any place of public accommodation is required to provide sign language interpreters or other effective means of communication for individuals who are hard-of-hearing. Depending on the situation, other effective means of communication may include assistive listening devices.

Student organizations have responsibility for covering the costs of interpreting at one-time events and can seek funding through Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG). Departments have all responsibility for events, programs, and services within their own area.

Concerns related to cost can be discussed with SAS and department heads.

Accessibility Statement

To ensure accessibility in all programs and events, the following statement is to be placed in program announcements:

Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all UNI-sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact (sponsoring department or contact person) at (telephone number and email) at least one week prior to the event.

It is the responsibility of the sponsoring department to arrange necessary accommodations, including covering associated costs. The sponsoring department should identify the individual(s) responsible for handling accommodation requests.

No qualified individual with a disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of the University. The Accommodations of Disabilities policy provides greater detail and resources on making appropriate accommodations.

Contact Information for Interpreting Services

Kim Kischer-Larson, CI & CT
Iowa License # 00136
NE Iowa Interpreting Service, Inc.
1707 Primrose Dr.
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50613
319-269-9190  Cell / Text
319-277-8174  Office voice mail / FAX

Additional information on campus resources related to meeting accommodations can be found on the Disability Services at UNI page.